Discover the Borders






Discover the Borders

Abbotsford House

Description: This is the house built and lived in by Sir Walter Scott, novelist and author of timeless classics. The house has a fine collection of historic relics, weapons and armour, and a large library of rare volumes. Ownership: Abbotsford Trust Limited is a registered charity. Scottish Charity No SCO37425 Situation – OS ref: NT 518342 How to get there: By car: Lies between Me ... [more]

01/04/2017

Alnwick Castle

Description: Owned by the Percy family since the 1300’s, it is the home of the Duke and Duchess of Northumberland. In a magnificent state of preservation, it has been the location for numerous films, most recently ‘Harry Potter’, ‘Elizabeth’ and ‘Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves’ Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NU 187135 How to get there: By car: Lies just off the A1 35 mi ... [more]

09/04/2017

The Alnwick Garden

Description: This garden is now one of the star attractions of Northumberland. In its first year it attracted over 300,000 visitors. The centrepiece is the Grand Cascade, but the Rose Garden and the ornamental garden are a joy to behold throughout the year. The Garden attracts around ½ million visitors each year. The rose "The Alnwick Rose" was launched by David Austin at Che ... [more]

28/03/2017

Ancrum Old Parish Church

Description: Virtually no trace remains of the original church recorded in 1116 AD. The now ruined building which was built in the 18th century is outside the present village. Repaired in 1832, but abandoned about 1890, when the new church, within the village, was built. Ownership: In Ancrum Graveyard Situation – OS ref: NT 621248 How to get there: By car: Off the B6400 road, to the ... [more]

01/01/2017

Ancrum Village Green and Market Cross

Description: A carved stone cross stands on the triangular village green, where regular markets took place from 1490. Bishop Blackadder of Glasgow, as feudal lord of the village, set up a market in a failed attempt to turn the village into a centre for trade and commerce. Ownership: Public place Situation – OS ref: NT 628245 How to get there: By car: In the centre of the village of ... [more]

01/01/2017

Bailiffgate Museum, Alnwick

Description: This is the museum of Alnwick and District, where you can explore the turbulent history of North Northumberland. Located in the former St Mary’s Church, there are six specially themed areas capturing the unique nature of this historic region. Ownership: Registered Charity Situation – OS ref: NU 175136 How to get there: By car: In the town of Alnwick at 14 Bailiffgate, ... [more]

21/02/2015

Bamburgh Castle

Description: Dominating the Northumberland coastline, south of Lindisfarne, Bamburgh Castle is the home of the Armstrong family. Open to the public are the King’s Hall, the Cross hall, reception rooms, the Bakehouse as well as the Armoury and the Dungeon. Restored many times, the original castle dates from Anglo-Saxon times. At present, the Bamburgh Research Project is excavating near to the ... [more]

03/03/2016

Bank Street Gardens, Galashiels

Description: These public gardens, planted and maintained by Scottish Borders Council, stretch along Bank Street in Galashiels. Ownership: Scottish Borders Council Situation – OS ref: NT 493358 How to get there: By car: Park in one of the car parks in central Galashiels, most are Pay and Display, and walk to Bank Street, the main route west through the town centre. By public tra ... [more]

01/01/2017

Bemersyde House Gardens

Description: The grounds of this 16th century peel tower with its attached added-on mansion house. Gardens laid out by Field Marshal Earl Haig. Ownership: Gardens only are open. The house is NOT open Situation – OS ref: NT 594333 How to get there: By car: On the B6356 St Boswells to Earlston Road. Follow signs for Wallace Statue and Scotts View. Left just before the Bemersyde hous ... [more]

23/03/2017

Bemersyde Moss

Description:A 25 hectare reserve with open water and marsh vegetation surrounded by grassland and woodland. There is a breeding colony of some 14,000 pairs of black headed gulls, and it also supports a wintering population of wigeon and greylag geese. It supports on its fringes interesting and varied wildlife. Ownership: Scottish Wildlife Trust Situation – OS ref: NT 614340 How to get ... [more]

01/01/2017

Berwick Barracks - By Beat of Drum

Description: An exhibition which chronicles the history of the infantryman of the British Army from 1660 to 1900. There are 12 rooms which show reconstructions of barrack room life with original uniforms and equipment. Ownership: English Heritage - part of Berwick Barracks. Situation – OS ref: NU 001531 How to get there: By car: In the town of Berwick upon Tweed. Car parking. By p ... [more]

12/02/2013

Berwick upon Tweed Borough Museum

Description: This museum tells the story of Berwick upon Tweed through the ages. Explore the old garrison town and surroundings through the sights and sounds of "Window on Berwick". Included in this museum is an exhibition of that part of the world famous Burrell Collection which Sir William Burrell, who lived at Hutton Castle, gave to Berwick upon Tweed – some 300 pieces of the fine ... [more]

12/03/2013

Berwick Garden Centre

Description: Berwick Garden Centre is the most northerly in England. Started as a diversification by local farmer Nick Crabbie, it has developed into a place well worth visiting, be it for plants or other items for the garden, outdoor clothing, food and other local produce from the farm shop, or a gift from the wide range on offer. After a walk around the well-stocked garden centre try a quiet c ... [more]

23/02/2014

Berwick Main Guard

Description: Georgian military guardhouse, built in 1815, which contains an exhibition of the history of the town and Royal Berwick. Ownership: English Heritage and Berwick Civic Society Situation – OS ref: NT 999525 How to get there: By car: At Palace Green, in the town of Berwick upon Tweed. Car parking. By public transport: Regular Bus services from Edinburgh, Newcastle and th ... [more]

15/03/2013

Berwick upon Tweed Record Office

Description: Berwick upon Tweed Record Office is a Resource Centre for Family History Research in North Northumberland and the nearby borders area. Ownership: Berwick Borough Council Situation – OS ref: NT 999533 How to get there: By car: At Wallace Green, in the town centre of Berwick upon Tweed. Car parking, nearby (Pay and Display). By public transport: Regular Bus services fr ... [more]

23/02/2013

Biggar Albion Archive and Foundation

Description: One of a series of museums and places of interest within the town of Biggar. The Albion building houses vehicles and archives of Albion Motors, a commercial vehicle manufacturing firm started in 1899. A small motor museum is open at weekends. The Biggar Albion Archive and Foundation was formed in 2001 and had its beginnings in Biggar Museum Trust but now operates independently. ... [more]

24/02/2013

Biggar Gasworks Museum

Description: Find out how gas was made from coal in the only preserved gasworks in Scotland. Built in 1839, Biggar Gas Works remains just as it was when it closed in 1973 following the arrival of North Sea gas. Ownership: Biggar Museums Trust Situation – OS ref: NT 038376 How to get there: By car: On the A7202 road from Edinburgh to Lanark (via A 73) and South. Easily accessible also ... [more]

24/02/2013

Borders Family History Society

Description: Research room with micro fiche and micro film records of census returns, births, marriages and deaths. Also information on local Borders families. Monumental Inscriptions series for graveyards in parts of Roxburghshire and Berwickshire, recording still being carried out. Also on-going projects on Poor Law and Police & Criminal records. Ownership: Registered Scottish C ... [more]

10/03/2017

Border Textile Tower House

Description: Built as a Peel Tower House and home of the Douglas family, and later the home of Anne, Duchess of Monmouth, and still later the Tower Hotel, the premises now house the Border Textile Tower House. The Borders Textile Towerhouse now showcases the past, present and future of the Borders textile industry. Ownership: Scottish Borders Council Situation – OS ref: NT 503145 H ... [more]

10/02/2017

Bowden Kirk

Description: The monks of Kelso Abbey founded the church at Bowden around 1128, although only some fragments in the west gable and north wall survive from this original structure. The original church was a rectangular building to which transepts were added in the 15th century. The church has been remodelled at least twice since then, the last in 1909, and, while the exterior still bears a feel ... [more]

01/01/2017

Bowhill House & Country Park

Description: This is the Scottish Borders home of the Duke of Buccleuch & Queensberry. K.T. The house itself contains an outstanding art collection, with a wide range of work from the masters, tapestries and superb French furniture, Sevres and Meissen china, and silver. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 425278 How to get there: By car: Situated on the A708 Selkirk to Mof ... [more]

01/04/2017

Broughton Gallery

Description: An art gallery established 1976, with a changing exhibition of work, which offers, for sale, work by contemporary British artists and makers. The premises were designed by Sir Basil Spence in 1936, in the style of a Scottish Tower House of the 17th century. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 113361 In Broughton Village. How to get there: By car: On the A701, Ed ... [more]

20/03/2013

Brownsbank Cottage, by Biggar

Description: This cottage, the but and ben where Scotlands's international poet, Hugh MacDiarmid (Christopher Grieve) lived with his wife Valda from 1951 until their deaths in 1978 and 1989, has been restored to be exactly as it was. It is now a registered museum and home to a writer-in-residence. Ownership: Biggar Museum Trust Situation – OS ref: How to get there: By car: 2 mi ... [more]

24/02/2013

Burnside Gallery and Framers

Description: An art gallery and framers which has an exhibition of a wide range of ceramics, glassware, woodwork and hand-made cards. Constantly changing. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 244473 How to get there: Burnside Farmhouse, Eddleston. By car: In the village of Eddleston, on the A703 Peebles to Edinburgh road. By public transport: Regular bus service from Edi ... [more]

10/03/2013

Camera Obscura and World of Illusions

Description: Camera Obscura and World of Illusions Ownership: Private Situation – Castlehill The Royal Mile Edinburgh EH1 2ND How to get there: By car: Parking on the Royal Mile impossible. Find car park in town, and walk. By public transport: Regular public transport along the Royal Mile. Seasonal opening details (2011): All year. Opening Hours: July, August, Eve ... [more]

19/03/2013

Castleton Village (site of), Church and Liddel Castle

Description: In the 12th century, the village of Castleton consisted of the parish church, the houses of the villagers and the earth and timber castle of the Norman family of Soules. Little of this now survives. The churchyard of St Martin marks the site of the mediaeval church and a stone has recently been erected on the other side of the road to mark the position of the village green, and the ... [more]

01/01/2017

Cessford Castle

Description: Built about 1450 for Andrew Ker, the ruins of this castle remind one of the turbulent times during the 16th century when the Border area was the scene of continuing warfare between the Scots and the English, and, in times of cross-border peace, between the various families along the border. The Ker family and its various branches was involved in much of the fighting, various Kers ha ... [more]

01/01/2011

Chain Bridge Honey Farm Visitor Centre

Description: This honey farm which was established some 30 years ago has over 1000 colonies of bees which provide the honey and beeswax used to create the range of products offered for sale. The Visitor Centre has a superb series of exhibits which describe all aspects of bee-keeping and bee-related products. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 936508 How to get there: By car ... [more]

08/04/2017

Chirnside Parish Church

Description: Remains of the Norman parish church of Chirnside can still be seen as a blocked window in the lower part of the western tower and as an ornamental doorway through the south wall. Sundial dated 1816, situated on skewputt. Church rebuilt in 1878 and major restoration and alterations in 1907. Ownership: Church of Scotland Situation – OS ref: NT 870560 How to get there: ... [more]

01/01/2011

Clan Armstrong Trust Museum

Description: The Trust holds the world’s largest collection of Armstrong records and has genealogical records and the facilities for historical research. Ownership: Clan Armstrong Trust Situation – OS ref: NT 365845 How to get there: By car: In the town of Langholm, midway between Hawick and Langholm. In Lodge Walk, Castleholm off the main A7 road. By public transport: Regular bus s ... [more]

11/03/2013

Cockburnspath Mercat Cross

Description: Probably erected about 1612, when King James VI granted the village status as a Burgh of barony, although local tradition states that it is older, having been erected to commemorate the marriage of King James IV to Margaret Tudor of England. Carvings show the Scottish Thistle and the Tudor Rose. Ownership: Public access Situation – OS ref: NT 774711 How to get there: ... [more]

01/01/2011

Cockburnspath Parish Church

Description: Cockburnspath Church was originally a dependant chapel of Coldingham Priory. The current building was extensively rebuilt after the ravages which followed its original construction in the 16th century. Major renovation in 19th century. Unusual short round tower at one end of this rectangular building. Ownership: Church of Scotland Situation – OS ref: NT 774710 How to ... [more]

01/01/2011

Coldingham Priory

Description: Founded in the early 12th century by monks from the Benedictine Monastery at Durham it was attacked frequently over the centuries with Cromwell leaving it a smoking ruin in 1648 as he moved north into Scotland. Little remains of the original, but fragments of the south transept and cloister can be seen. Parts of the 13th century choir remain to their full height. After extensive ... [more]

01/01/2010

Coldstream Museum

Description: A local history museum with a special section for The Coldstream Guards. Temporary exhibitions each year. Picnic area and courtyard. Children’s Corner. Ownership: Scottish Borders Council Situation – OS ref: NT 845397 How to get there: By car: In Coldstream Market Square., off the A698 Kelso to Cornhill road. By public transport: Regular bus services from Kelso to ... [more]

22/02/2013

Cragside House, Gardens & Estate

Description: The home of Lord Armstrong, the Victorian engineer and landscape genius. The living exhibition of the development of technology within the home. The first house in the world to be lit by electricity. Extensive gardens, walks and a labyrinth and play area for the children. Ownership: National Trust Situation – OS ref: NU 074022 How to get there: By car: Off the B6341 Al ... [more]

23/03/2017

Craik Forest Woodland Walks

Description: There are a number of woodland walks and footpaths around Craik which give access to historic sites. These include prehistoric settlements, a Roman road and medieval farmsteads. Craik also has places of scenic beauty, wetland areas, ancient woodland and meadow sites with the associated wildlife. Ownership: Forestry Commission Situation – OS ref: NT 347083 How to get there ... [more]

01/01/2010

Cranshaws Parish Church

Description: The present church dates only from 1899, built on the site of at least two previous buildings. The original church was severely neglected after the Reformation, and a new building was erected in 1739, itself being replaced by the current building which is still in use. Ownership: Church of Scotland Situation – OS ref: NT 692618 How to get there: By car: On the B6355 P ... [more]

01/01/2010

Creetown Gem Rock Museum

Description: One of the finest privately-owned collections of gemstones, minerals, crystals and art items made from them in the country. Erupting volcano and crystal cave Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: How to get there: By car: Just off the main A75 Dumfries to Stranraer Road in the village of Creetown. Signposted in the village By public transport: Regular public tra ... [more]

08/04/2017

Crosshall Cross, Eccles

Description: Standing by the roadside, this cross was erected so that travellers would know that they were approaching the boundary of Eccles Nunnery, a Cistercian Nunnery. This priory was in existence from the late 1100's until 1609 when its property and lands were given to Sir George Hume. Ownership: On private land, but can be viewed from the roadside. There is no public access Si ... [more]

01/01/2010

The Darnick Walk, Melrose

This short walk, on the flat, around the village of Darnick, close to Melrose, takes about forty minutes, and includes the old village and the bank of the Tweed. Ideal for a pleasant summer's afternoon. Visit the The Darnick Walk website Places to Stay in Melrose ... [more]

01/01/2010

Dawyck Botanic Garden

Description: One of four National Botanic Gardens of Scotland. It is home to a stunning collection of trees and shrubs. Ownership: Royal Botanic Gardens, Scotland. Situation – OS ref:NT 168352 How to get there: By car: On the B712, 8 miles south west of Peebles. By public transport: Not on public transport route. Seasonal opening details (2017): The Garden is open daily, 1 Feb ... [more]

24/03/2017

Dirleton Castle and Garden

Description: The ruins of 13th century Dirleton Castle with its colourful blend of formal and contemporary gardens. Boasts the longest herbaceous border – according to the 'Guinness Book of Records'! Ownership: Historic Scotland Situation – OS ref: NT 516839 How to get there: By car: In the village of Dirleton, 3 miles west of North Berwick on the A198. By public transport: ... [more]

12/03/2013

Dryburgh Abbey

Description: These picturesque and remarkably complete ruins of the Abbey founded in the 12th century and destroyed in 1322, 1385 and finally in 1544, belonged to the monks of the Premonstratensian Order. It is the last resting place of Sir Walter Scott and Earl Haig, the World War 1 Field Marshal. Ownership: In the care of Historic Scotland. 5 star grading Situation – OS ref: NT 5 ... [more]

11/03/2014

Dun Law Wind Farm

Description: A 26 turbine wind farm, each tower being 40metres/131feet high at the western end of the Lammermuir Hills. Nine turbines lie to the East of the A68, the others to the West. Ownership: Scottish Power, operated by Ingenco. Situation – OS ref: NT 476573 How to get there: By car: On the A68, Edinburgh to Newcastle Road, 20 miles south of Edinburgh. By public transport: All ... [more]

01/01/2017

Duns Golf Club

Description: Duns Golf Club Ownership: Private Golf Club Situation – OS ref: NT767536 Hardens Road, Duns TD11 3NR How to get there: By car: Just outside Duns off the B6456 Greenlaw Road, on the Longformacus Road. By public transport: Seasonal opening details (2016): Open all year. Facilities: 18 hole course of 6298 yards - Par 71. Clubhouse with lounge and full caterin ... [more]

08/04/2016

Duns Law

Description: Looking over the present town of Duns, a path leads from Castle Street to the top of this hill, site of the first town. The hill is crowned by the defensive banks of an Iron Age settlement, inside which is a military fieldwork which was constructed in 1638, during the first Bishop's War. A Scottish army under General Leslie occupied the hill, fortified it and reputedly raised th ... [more]

01/01/2010

Duns Mercat Cross

Description: Duns was granted the status of a Burgh of Barony in 1490 by King James IV in favour of George Hume of Ayton and his son, John. The Market Cross was a symbol of the town's commercial and civil standing. The original cross was pulled down in 1816 and reconstructed in the local Park in 1897 to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria. When the town Square was refurbished i ... [more]

01/01/2010

Duns Town Trail

This walk takes you round the town of Duns in the Scottish Borders. The town is steeped in history, and you will find items of interest round every corner. Visit the Duns Town Trail website. Places to Stay in Duns ... [more]

01/01/2013

Dykecrofts Information Centre & Newcastleton Historic Forest Walk

Description: Dykecrofts Information Centre houses an exhibition of forestry past and present and leads to Priest Hill, where there are the remains of a 2000 year old Iron Age hillfort and the sites of former farmsteads. Ownership: Forest Enterprise Situation – OS ref: NY 504877 How to get there: By car: A minor road leading from the B6357, left, going over the bridge at the south e ... [more]

24/02/2017

Eastcote House Archery Centre

Description: Archery centre offering indoor and outdoor facilities, courses and training at all levels and Come and Try. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: Description: Archery centre offering indoor and outdoor facilities, courses and training at all levels and Come and Try. Ownership: Private How to get there: By car: On the A698 between Denholm and Hawick By public t ... [more]

22/02/2013

Eastgate Theatre Peebles

Description: Eastgate Theatre, Peebles EH45 8AD A brand new theatre and arts centre in a 19th century church in the centre of Peebles with a regular range of creative and cultural events including film, theatre, dance, music for all ages. Ownership: Situation – OS ref: NT 253403 By car: In the centre of the town of Peebles. Parking nearby. By public transport: Regular bus service f ... [more]

24/03/2017

Eccles Parish Churchyard

Description: The mediaeval church dedicated to St Andrew was replaced by the present building in 1774. The western boundary walls of the kirkyard include parts of the Convent Church of St Mary the Virgin, a Cistercian nunnery founded about 1150 by Cospatrick, Earl of Dunbar. The nunnery was abandoned in the early 17th century. Ownership: Church of Scotland Situation – OS ref: NT 763413 ... [more]

01/01/2010

Edie Ochiltree's Grave, Roxburgh

Description: This is the grave of Andrew Gemmels, the blue-coat gaberlunzie, who died at the age of 106, and upon whom Sir Walter Scott based his character, Edie Ochiltree in "The Antiquary". On the gravestone are the words: "Behold the end o' it – The body of the gentleman beggar ANDREW GEMMELS alias EDIE OCHILTREE was interred here who died at Roxburgh Newtown in 1793 aged 10 ... [more]

01/01/2010

Edinburgh Butterfly and Insect World

Description: An indoor tropical jungle inhabited by thousands of the world’s most beautiful butterflies. Watch them as they fly around, feeding on the tropical flowers. The bugs and beasties exhibition features a huge collection of live creepy crawlies, snakes, frogs and lizards. Some of the more friendly ones can be handled at the daily ‘meet the beasties’ sessions. Ownership: Private ... [more]

24/02/2010

Edinburgh Castle

Description: Situated above the centre of Scotland's capital city, Edinburgh Castle has watched over the history of Scotland for almost 1400 years. Today it offers a wide range of superb attractions for the visitor to explore. Ownership: Historic Scotland Situation – OS ref: NT 252734 How to get there: By car: At the very top of the Royal Mile. By public transport: Local bus se ... [more]

12/03/2014

The Edinburgh Dungeon

Description: The Edinburgh Dungeon invites you to a feast of fun with history's horrible bits. Enter the dark and terrifying labyrinth that stretches from beneath the Castle, under the Royal Mile and into the unknown. Ownership: Merlin Entertainments (Dungeons) Ltd Situation – OS ref: Right in the middle of the city, behind Waverley Station at 31 Market Street. How to get there ... [more]

24/02/2010

Edinburgh Zoo

Description: Now in its 9th decade, Edinburgh Zoo is one of Europe's leading zoos in conservation and education. Ownership: Royal Zoological Society of Scotland Situation – OS ref: NT 205735 How to get there: By car: 3 miles from City centre along the A8, west, out of the city towards Glasgow. Next to Holiday Inn By public transport: Public transport buses Nos. 12, 26 and 31 an ... [more]

24/03/2017

Edin's Hall Broch

Description: Dating from 2nd century, one of a very limited number of Iron Age brochs in the lowlands of Scotland. It sits within an earlier fort which is surrounded by ramparts and ditches. Later, the site was occupied in the Romano-British period. Ownership: In the care of Historic Scotland. Situation: OS ref: NT 772603 How to get there: By car: Off the A6112, Duns to Grantsho ... [more]

01/01/2012

Edrom Church

Description: Very highly carved Romanesque doorway, dating from the 12th century; formerly the door to the church, Now the entrance to a burial vault in the graveyard. Ownership: In the care of Historic Scotland. Situation: OS ref: NT 827558 How to get there: By car: 3 ½ miles north east of Duns along the A6105 in Edrom village. By public transport: regular public transport from ... [more]

01/01/2012

Edrom Nurseries

Description: Old established nursery which has a specialist alpine range, and an extensive range of woodland plants including rhododendrons. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 905658 How to get there: By car: To Coldingham where the A1107 from Eyemouth crosses the B6438 St Abbs to Reston road. By public transport: Regular bus service from Berwick upon Tweed to St Abbs via C ... [more]

07/04/2016

Eildon Hill North

Description: The summit of Eildon North Hill is crowned by the largest hillfort in Scotland. Built in the 10th century BC, this fortified site contains platforms for nearly 300 huts and may have served as a focus for periodic gatherings by the scattered hill communities. When the Romans arrived in the Borders in the late 1st century AD, they built a watch tower on the summit of the hill and th ... [more]

01/01/2010

The Eildons Walk, Melrose

This walk, starting in Melrose will take you up the Eildon Hills, then down to Newstead Village and back to Melrose. The climbs are quite steep, and sensible footwear is a must. Visit The Eildons Walk website Places to Stay in Melrose ... [more]

01/01/2010

Etal Castle

Description:A 14th century castle which will allow you to discover the history of border warfare with an inclusive and exciting personal audio tour. Ownership: English Heritage Situation – OS ref: NT 925392 How to get there: By car:In Etal Village – on B6354, Ford to Etal road. By public transport: Local bus service. Seasonal opening details (2016): End March to 30th September ... [more]

23/02/2016

Ettleton Churchyard

Description: No trace survives of the mediaeval church which served the parish of Ettleton until 1604, except for the collection of carved stones set into the graveyard wall. Amongst these are several mediaeval tomb slabs and a cross head. The churchyard stands between the enclosed landscape of narrow strips, which represent 18th century land allocations to the local community, and the upland ... [more]

01/01/2010

Eyemouth Harbour & Fish Market

Description: One of the few East Coast harbours which is still fully working. Picturesque, with its new fish market where auctions are still carried out. Viewing area. Visiting yachts and pleasure craft are afforded a warm welcome with secure berthing and modern facilities. Ownership: Situation – OS ref: NT 948645 How to get there: By car: Within Eyemouth town. By public transpo ... [more]

01/01/2010

Eyemouth Maritime Centre

Description: Museum/exhibition telling the story of mankind afloat. Films and slide shows in what was the old fishmarket, now being redeveloped in the form of a 18th century frigate. A series of exhibitions will portray a human interest story about the sea – the current one is about the history of UK coastal smuggling. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 944642 How to get there ... [more]

09/04/2016

Eyemouth Museum

Description: Museum, which has a major tapestry detailing the fishing disaster of 1881. Exhibitions for farming, milling, wheelwrighting and blacksmithing. Ownership: Charitable Trust. Self-financing Situation – OS ref: NT 944642 How to get there: By car: Within the town of Eyemouth in the Auld Kirk, Manse Road. By public transport: Town is well served by Public Transport from ... [more]

08/04/2016

Farne Islands

Description: The site of the best-known seal and bird colonies in the North East of England. Ownership: National Trust Situation - OS ref: NU 218358 How to get there: By car: Park in Seahouses and arrange a boat trip from Seahouses Harbour. By public transport: Local bus service to Seahouses and then boat trip. Seasonal opening details : From April to August or September. Breed ... [more]

24/02/2010

The Fenton Centre

Description: A combination of Visitor Centre, Nature Walks, Birds of Prey and fun for all the family. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 969337 How to get there: By car: Just off the B6525 or A697. Head for Doddington or Milfield and take the road signposted Fentons. By public transport: Seasonal opening details (2010): Easter to end October Opening Hours: Daily ... [more]

24/02/2010

Ferniehirst Castle

Description: Built as the seat of one of the main branches of the Kerr family, it was the home of the late Marquis & Marchioness of Lothian. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 652179 How to get there: By car: Just off the A68, one mile south of Jedburgh. By public transport: Intercity buses between Edinburgh and Newcastle stop at Ferniehirst Castle road end. Season ... [more]

24/06/2016

Flat Cat Gallery

Description: A gallery with changing exhibition of paintings, ceramics, sculpture, photography, glass and jewellery by artists both local and from further afield. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT532475 How to get there: By car: In the Market Place, Lauder. Parking nearby. By public transport: Regular bus services to and from Lauder to the main border towns and Edinbur ... [more]

24/02/2010

The Battle of Flodden Field Memorial

Description: The memorial stone stands on the site of the Battle of Flodden, above Branxton near Cornhill on Tweed, Northumberland. Ownership: Situation – OS ref: NT 890370 How to get there: By car: Off the A697, some 3 miles south of Cornhill on Tweed. Turn off at the Bluebell Inn and follow the road through the village of Branxton. Signposted. By public transport: N/A Season ... [more]

01/01/2017

Floors Castle and Gardens

Description: Floors is the largest inhabited castle in Scotland and the home of the Duke and Duchess of Roxburghe and their family. Ownership: Private Situation: In the town of Kelso. OS ref: NT 711346 How to get there: By car: Up Roxburgh Street from Kelso Square. Gates are facing you. By public transport: Kelso has excellent bus services linking to Edinburgh, Berwick upon Tw ... [more]

22/04/2015

Fort Point, Eyemouth

Description: This promontory was fortified in 1547 by invading English troops and again in 1557 by French forces acting on behalf of the Scottish king. The two lines of ramparts, with bastions and gun emplacements, can still be traced in the grass-covered earthworks. The headland provides a spectacular viewing point for the cliffs and their nesting seabirds. Ownership: Public Access Si ... [more]

01/01/2010

Foulden Tithe Barn

Description: A two-storey barn which was used for storing the grain which was the tithe or teind (tenth part) payable to the church. Ownership: In the care of Historic Scotland Situation: OS ref: NT 931558 How to get there: By car: In Foulden, which is 4 miles south east of Chirnside on the A6105, Chirnside to Berwick upon Tweed road. By public transport: Regular public transpor ... [more]

01/01/2012

The Fuchsia Centre

The Fuchsia Centre Description: Small specialist Fuchsia centre with a fuchsia show garden and sales area. Advice freely given. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT844638 How to get there: By car: On the A1 at Houndwood – next to the church. By public transport: Service buses from Berwick upon Tweed up the A1. Seasonal opening details: Summer Opening 1st March to 3 ... [more]

09/04/2016

Fulton Tower, near Bedrule

Description: Lying between Jedburgh and Hawick, these are the remains of a 16th century tower house. It was held by Margaret Home of Cowdenknowes prior to her wedding to William Turnbull of Bedrule. It is recorded as one of the towers destroyed by the Earl of Hertford during his raids which devastated the Borders in 1545. Around the house are the turf-covered remains of the houses and outbuild ... [more]

01/01/2010

Gladstone Court, Biggar

Description: One of a series of museums and places of interest within the town of Biggar. A museum of Victorian social history. Walk along the street as it was, visit the shops or sit in the schoolroom. Ownership: Biggar Museums Trust Situation – OS ref: NT 042378 How to get there: By car: On the A7202 road from Edinburgh to Lanark (via A 73) and South. Easily accessible also from t ... [more]

11/03/2009

Glenkinchie Distillery

Description: The home of The Edinburgh Malt. See a working distillery. Visit an exhibition of malt whisky on site Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 443668 How to get there: Near Pencaitland, Tranent, East Lothian. By car: Off the B6371 road which runs between the A6093 and the A6137. Easiest route is off the A68, south of Edinburgh, between Dalkeith and Pathhead. Turn left ... [more]

02/04/2009

Grace Darling National Memorial Museum, Bamburgh

Description: A Museum of the Life and Times of lifeboat heroine, Grace Darling. Ownership: Royal National Lifeboat Institution Situation – OS ref: NU 178349 How to get there: By car: In the village of Bamburgh. Turn off the A1, south of Berwick upon Tweed along the B1342. Signposted Bamburgh and Seahouses. By public transport: Regular bus services from Berwick upon Tweed. OPENI ... [more]

05/02/2016

Greenhill Covenanters' House, Biggar

Description: One of a series of museums and places of interest within the town of Biggar. Biggar Museum Trust rescued this 17th century farmhouse from its original site some 13 kilometres away. They rebuilt and refurbished it in 1975. Here you can return to the troubled times of the 18th century. Ownership: Biggar Museums Trust Situation – OS ref: NT 040381 How to get there: By car: ... [more]

24/02/2010

Greenknowe Tower

Description: A handsome four storey tower house built to an L-shaped design in 1581. It still retains its iron gate. Formerly the property of the Gordon and Seton families, in later times it came into the ownership of the Pringles of Stichel and the Dalrymple family.. Ownership: In the care of Historic Scotland Situation – OS ref: NT 639428 How to get there: By car: Half a mi ... [more]

01/01/2012

Greenlaw County Hall

Description: Greenlaw County Hall was built in 1829-31 to house the offices associated with the local government of Berwickshire, Greenlaw being, at that time, the county town of Berwickshire. Designed by John Cunningham, who also designed the Castle Hotel across the Square, the building became largely redundant when the management of Berwickshire was transferred to Duns in 1903. It was converte ... [more]

01/01/2010

Gunsgreen House

Description: This is the most prominent house in Eyemouth. Built about 1760, this 18th century merchant’s house, originally built by James and John Adam has a long connection with the smuggling trade. Ownership: Gunsgreen House Trust Situation – OS ref: NT 947645 How to get there: By car: Within Eyemouth town. By public transport: Regular bus services from Berwick upon Tweed. ... [more]

01/04/2016

The Gypsy Memorial, Kirk Yetholm

Description: Unveiled in 2003, this piece of stone from Blinkbonny Quarry, stands as a memorial to the Gypsies of Kirk Yetholm, and at the same time to Tom Tokely, a renowned local historian with a special interest in and knowledge of the Kirk Yetholm Gypsies. Situation – OS ref: NT 828282 How to get there: By car: In the village of Kirk Yetholm some 8 miles south of Kelso. The memorial ... [more]

01/01/2010

The Gypsy Palace, Kirk Yetholm

Description: The traditional home of the King of the Gypsies, the Palace is probably the last of a line of previous Palaces. There was certainly an "Old Palace" across the Kirk Yetholm Green from the last one. It has been modernised almost beyond recognition and has for some time been a self-catering holiday home. Ownership: Now a private property, not open to the public. Situati ... [more]

01/01/2010

Gymnasium Gallery

Description: Opened in 1993, this gallery has established itself as a leading venue for contemporary art and artists in the region. Details of current exhibitions are available from English Heritage (Tel: 01289 304493). Ownership: English Heritage - part of Berwick Barracks. Situation – OS ref: NU 001531 How to get there: By car: In the town of Berwick upon Tweed. Car parking. By ... [more]

23/02/2010

Halliwell's House Museum

Description: This museum explores and reveals the life of Selkirk through the ages. See the lives of the working people in majestic displays, follow the Time-line, find out about ‘The Souters’ and see the Flodden Flag, brought home by the only survivor from the town. Ownership: Scottish Borders Council Situation – OS ref: NT 470284 How to get there: By car: Just off Selkirk Marke ... [more]

22/02/2016

Harestanes Countryside Visitor Centre

HARESTANES COUNTRYSIDE VISITOR CENTRE Description: This centre offers events, exhibitions and countryside walks for all the family. Published programme of events for the whole year. Has the biggest and best children’s play park in the Borders. Ownership: Scottish Borders Council Situation – OS ref: NT 641244 How to get there: By car: Just off the A68, near Ancrum, between St Bos ... [more]

01/10/2017

Walking at Harestanes Visitor Centre

Description: There are four walks which start and finish at the centre plus access to St Cuthbert's Way. Cricket Park Walk (signposted Yellow) Circular walk, 1.5 km long and suitable for pushchairs and assisted wheelchairs. River Teviot Walk (signposted Blue) Linear walk, 6km to viewpoint at Nisbet Mill Cauld. Folly Loch Walk (signposted Red) Circular walk, 6km includes section on ... [more]

01/01/2010

Harmony Garden

Description: A peaceful and sheltered garden offering herbaceous and mixed borders, lawns, vegetable and fruit areas. Outstanding spring bulbs. Fine views of the Abbey and the Eildon Hills. Please note that the house is NOT open to the public. Ownership: National Trust for Scotland Situation: In the town of Melrose. OS ref: NT 548343 How to get there: By car: Within the t ... [more]

12/02/2014

Hawick Cashmere Visitor Centre

Description: Visitor Centre offering a viewing gallery to watch the frames at work. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: 506151 How to get there: By car: In town of Hawick – Trinity Mills, Duke Street. Behind Safeway Supermarket. By public transport: Regular bus services from all the Border towns, Edinburgh and Carlisle. Seasonal opening details (2013): All year Opening H ... [more]

23/02/2013

Hawick Motte

Description: Standing in Motte Park are the remains of this “motte and bailey” castle which was the stronghold of the Lovell family. All that now remains are the remnants of the main earthen mound on which stood the defended buildings. There are no signs now of the bailey or ditch which was the outside defensive work beyond the “wall” which surrounded the main mound. In 1912, an exploratory ... [more]

01/01/2010

Hawick Museum

Description: Museum displaying the manufacturing and domestic life of the area. Local history is well covered. Discover passionate collectors, racing legends, famous painters and local history in a historic house within a beautiful Victorian park. A lively programme of changing art and museum exhibitions throughout the year means there is always something new to see. The Jimmie Guthrie and S ... [more]

25/03/2013

Heatherslaw Light Railway

Description: A 15” gauge railway which runs from Heatherslaw Mill to Etal Village. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 933384 How to get there: By car: Lies on the B6354 between Ford and Etal Villages. By public transport: Local bus service. Seasonal opening details (2016): OPEN: 10am-4pm daily, March-October 2016; first train at 11am Return journey prices: Adult ... [more]

15/02/2016

Heatherslaw Mill

Description: A working water mill, where locally grown wheat is ground to make a stoneground wholemeal flour. A miller is on hand to demonstrate and explain the process. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 933384 How to get there: By car:Off the B6354 Ford to Etal road. By public transport: Local bus service. Seasonal opening details (2016): March to end October 2016. ... [more]

15/02/2016

Heritage Hub - Scottish Borders Archive and Local History Centre

Heritage Hub Scottish Borders Archive and Local History Centre Description: A state of the art facility, home to the region's archive and family history service. We acquire, preserve and make publicly available the documentary heritage of the Scottish Borders. Ownership: Scottish Borders Council Situation – OS ref: NT 502145 How to get there: By car: At the opposite end o ... [more]

12/07/2007

Hermitage Castle

Description: A vast eerie edifice standing in a beautiful but isolated spot. Much restored but still has a grandeur and a malevolence in keeping with its grim past. Ownership: Historic Scotland Situation – OS ref: NY 494961 How to get there: By car: Lies off the B6399, Hawick to Newcastleton road some 6 miles north of Newcastleton. Signposted. By public transport: N/A Seasonal o ... [more]

10/09/2017

Hermitage Chapel

Description: Remains of a 13th or 14th century chapel and graveyard are enclosed within the defensive earthworks of an earlier farmstead. A low mound known as the "Cout o' Kielder's Grave" may be the grave of Sir Richard Knout (Knut) of Kielder, Sheriff of Northumberland, who died about 1290. Ownership: Public access on moorland. Situation – OS ref: NY 493960 How to ... [more]

20/03/2011

The Hirsel Country Park

Description: The grounds of The Hirsel, home to the Home family, are of interest to all country lovers throughout the year. From the spring bulbs to the rhododendrons in June and on to the autumn colours, the walks are a delight for all. Migrating birds flock to the estate and to the lake in particular. Please note that the House is NOT open to the public. Ownership: Private Situatio ... [more]

21/03/2017

Hornshole Battle Site

Description: The site of the skirmish in 1514 when, according to local tradition, a group of English marauders were put to flight by a group of young men from Hawick. The Hawick Cornet, who leads the annual Riding of the Marches, proudly carries a replica of the flag which was captured on that occasion. Ownership: On private land. Situation – OS ref: NT 533167 How to get there: By c ... [more]

01/01/2010

Housesteads Roman Fort, Hadrian's Wall

Description: The most complete Roman fort in Britain, extensively excavated, with the finds displayed in the museum amd visitor centre. Ownership: National Trust and English Heritage with Trust Situation – OS ref: NY 790688 How to get there: By car: Off the B6318 which runs parallel to and to the north of the A69, Newcastle to Carlisle road. North of Haydon Bridge. Parking. Signpost ... [more]

09/03/2005

Hugh MacDiarmid Memorial, Langholm

Description: This memorial, in the form of an open book, stands on a hill above Langholm, and was created by Jake Harvey R.S.A in the early 1980's from corten steel and bronze. Jake Harvey Ownership: Situation – OS ref: NT 382857 How to get there: By car: From the A7 just North of Langholm, turn left along the minor road to Newcastleton. About 2 miles. Signposted. By public ... [more]

01/01/2010

Hume Castle

Description: A rare example of a simple courtyard castle of the 13th century, the ruined curtain walls forming the basis of a folly built in 1794 for the last Earl of Marchmont. Ownership: In the care of the Berwickshire Civic Society Situation – OS ref: NT 704413 How to get there: By car: In the village of Hume, which lies between Kelso and Greenlaw, just off the B6364 road. By p ... [more]

01/01/2010

Innerleithen Parish Church

Description: Standing outside the east end of the church is an ancient carved stone. Thought to be the base of a preaching cross dating from the 9th century, it came from the foundations of the previous church building. Ownership: Church of Scotland Situation – OS ref: NT 332369 How to get there: By car: In Innerleithen which lies on the A72 between Galashiels and Peebles. By publ ... [more]

08/12/2007

Jedburgh Abbey

Description: One of the four great Border Abbeys, founded by David I. The visitor centre contains the priceless Jedburgh Comb and other artefacts found during the excavation of the Abbey site. Ownership: Historic Scotland Situation – OS ref: NT 650204 How to get there: By car: Within the town of Jedburgh, on the A68 Edinburgh to Newcastle road. By public transport: Regular bus serv ... [more]

10/03/2016

Jedburgh Castle Jail & Museum

Description: 19th century Howard Reform prison with a local history interpretation centre and audio tours. On the site of the Royal Castle of Jedburgh. Ownership: Scottish Borders Council Situation – OS ref: NT 648202 How to get there: By car: Within the town of Jedburgh. Up the hill from the town Square, going South. By public transport: Within walking distance of the town centre. ... [more]

04/04/2016

Jedburgh Greyfriars

Description: The foundations of the last monastic house to be founded in Scotland are visible in this garden. Many medicinal herbs and local varieties of fruit tree are to be found here. Interpretation tells the story of this 16th century house of the Observantine Franciscan friars and its destruction by English artillery in 1545. Ownership: Situation – OS ref: NT 650208 How to get t ... [more]

01/01/2010

Jim Clark Room, Duns

Description: Museum dedicated to the life of Jim Clark, twice world motor racing champion in the 1960’s. Contains a unique collection of memorabilia, trophies and photographs. Ownership: Scottish Borders Council Museums Service Situation – Within the town of Duns, at 44 Newtown Street. How to get there: By car: In Duns. Public car parking nearby. By public transport: Regular bus ... [more]

14/03/2013

John Buchan Story, Peebles

Description: Memorial display to John Buchan, novelist and statesman. As Lord Tweedsmuir he was Governor-General of Canada; as John Buchan he wrote The Thirty Nine Steps and many other works of fiction. Ownership: Biggar Museum Trust Situation – OS ref: NT253403 b]How to get there: By car: Just off the main street of Peebles. By public transport: Regular bus services from other ... [more]

11/03/2013

John Muir's Birthplace

Description: A visitor attraction and interpretative centre highlighting the work and achievements of John Muir, environmentalist, biologist and geologist. Ownership: John Muir Birthplace Trust Situation – OS ref: Nt 685785 How to get there: In the High Street, Dunbar, East Lothian By car: By public transport: Regular bus and train services from Edinburgh. Seasonal opening details ( ... [more]

24/02/2010

Johnnie Armstrong Gallery

Description: Display of arms, armour and artifacts from the times of the Border Reivers. Gold & silver jewellery designed and made on the premises. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 405055 How to get there: By car: At Teviothead, on the A7 Hawick to Carlisle road. By public transport: Regular bus service from Hawick to Canonbie, Langholm and Carlisle. Seasonal openi ... [more]

23/02/2010

Johnnie Armstrong's Grave, Teviothead

Description: Johnnie Armstrong of Gilnockie was an infamous reiver who was a thorn in the side of the Scottish King James V. No matter what the King did, Armstrong went his own way and did his own thing, giving fealty to none. In 1530, the King decided that the time had come to end this challenge to his authority, so having gathered an army of 10,000, he set off for the Borderlands. Armstrong, ... [more]

01/01/2010

The Junction Pool, Kelso

Description: One of the finest salmon beats on the River Tweed is where the River Tweed and the River Teviot meet. This is the Junction Pool. In the year 2001, a very attractive, and comfortable seat, was placed on the bank above the pool, for those interested in watching the boatmen and their clients pitting their wits against those of the salmon. Within easy walking distance of the town, th ... [more]

01/01/2010

Kailzie Gardens

Description: A large garden on the grand scale, with greenhouses, herbaceous borders, unusual shrubs with woodland walks. Ownership: Private. Situation: 2½ miles east of Peebles. OS ref: NT 281385 How to get there: By car: Along the B7063. By public transport: Seasonal opening details (2014): Open throughout the year. Special Snowdrop days advertised locally. Opening H ... [more]

24/02/2014

Kelso Abbey

Description: Ruins of the west end of the great abbey church built in 1128 by the Tironesian monks from France. Only fragmentary remains after its repeated destruction by the English, but still an impressive structure. Ownership: In the care of Historic Scotland. Situation: OS ref: NT 728338 How to get there: By car: Within the town of Kelso. By public transport: Kelso is we ... [more]

01/01/2014

Kelso Bridge

Description: This bridge which crosses the Tweed, was designed by John Rennie of Haddington. His design is unusual in that it has a level road over semi-elliptical arches. Opened in 1803, the bridge has its Toll House on the town side. This demand for tolls led to the reading of the Riot Act in 1854, when the townspeople, tired of paying for the bridge, whose cost they reckoned had long since ... [more]

07/12/2010

Kelso Pottery

Description: Kelso Pottery was set up in 1970 by Ian and Elizabeth Hird. Ian produces a range of domestic ware which includes mugs, jugs, bowls, plates, vases and baking dishes which are intended for everyday use. They are smooth of surface, extremely hard-wearing and richly decorated. Ian has also produced his unique 'time-tablets' whose images combine to stimulate awareness of the ... [more]

19/10/2014

Walking in Kelso

Three short walks, all starting from the Square, which will take you to all the places of interest, old and new. You will cross Rennie's Bridge, see the beautiful view of the Junction Pool and beyond to Floors Castle and have the opportunity to head out of town, either to the ruins of Roxburgh Castle or up to the Millennium Viewpoint and beyond. Visit the Kelso Walks website Places to ... [more]

01/01/2010

Kielder Water & Forest Park

Description: Europe's largest man-made lake in a beautiful forest setting. Offers a wide range of land and water-based activities. Ownership: Situation – OS ref: How to get there: By car: Signposted off the A68 south of Jedburgh along the B6320. By public transport: Bus service available – timetable on Kielder website (link below) Seasonal opening details: February to D ... [more]

07/12/2007

Kilnsike Tower, near Chesters

Description: A good example of a 16th century bastle house, or fortified farmhouse, which provided shelter from the cross-border reivers or raiders in the days before peace reigned between Scotland and England. A lower floor provided a store and shelter for the few animals, and a removable stair up to the living quarters gave the occupants the chance of holding out until help arrived. Owners ... [more]

01/01/2010

King's Own Scottish Borderers Regimental Museum

Description: This museum honours the history of this famous regiment from 1689 to the present day. It follows the changes in weaponry, uniforms etc with tableaux and audio-visual displays Ownershi ... [more]

13/08/2003

Kirkbride Parish Church, Traquair

Description: The Church of St Bride was part of the Diocese of Glasgow, based in Strathclyde and which paid particular honour to saints from the celtic nations – Scotland, Wales and Ireland. First recorded in 1116, there is now no evidence of the original mediaeval church, the present building being from 1778. Ownership: Church of Scotland Situation – OS ref: NT 320334 How to get there ... [more]

01/01/2010

Lady Waterford Hall, Ford

Description: Lady Waterford Hall, formerly the village school contains a unique collection of watercolour murals, depicting biblical scenes, using local people as models. Painted between 1862 and 1883 by Louisa Anne, Marchioness of Waterford. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 949375 How to get there: In the village of Ford. By car: lies on the B6353 road, which joins the B ... [more]

15/02/2014

Lauder Town Trail

This walk takes you round the town of Lauder in the Scottish Borders. The town is steeped in history, and you will find items of interest round every corner. Visit the Lauder Town Trail Places to Stay in Lauder ... [more]

01/01/2010

Lempitlaw Old Parish Churchyard

Description: The site of the former 13th century parish church can still be made out as a turf-covered two cell structure close to the centre of the churchyard. The smaller of the two cells represents the former chancel, where the priest officiated, and inside is a well preserved hogback tombstone. Scandinavian settlers developed this rare form of burial monument in the 10th – 12th century. Al ... [more]

01/01/2010

Leyden Monument, Denholm

Description: Standing on Denholm Green is the monument to Dr John Leyden, scholar and poet, who was born in Denholm in 1775. He was a very highly talented scholar who assisted Sir Walter Scott with his collection of the material for his "Minstrelsy of the Scottish Borders". Later, Leyden went overseas and, with Sir Stamford Raffles and Lord Minto was instrumental in the founding of Sin ... [more]

01/01/2010

Liddesdale Heritage Centre and Museum

Description: A local history museum which houses a large collection of artefacts and has facilities for genealogical research. A commemorative bi-centenary tapestry created by local needleworkers is a unique exhibit. Having been on the Waverley Line, the collection of railway memorabilia is especially interesting. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NY 485875 How to get there: Old ... [more]

31/03/2016

Lilliardsedge Golf Course

Description: 9 hole golf course – attached to Lilliardsedge Holiday Park. Ownership: Private Club with membership. Situation – OS ref: NT 620265 How to get there: By car: 4 miles south of St Boswells on the A68. Signposted. By public transport: Seasonal opening details (2016): All year. Opening Hours: 9am till dusk. Facilities: Clubhouse. Bar and catering. Changing Ro ... [more]

09/04/2016

Lindisfarne Castle

Description: On Holy Island, this castle was built to protect the area against all comers. Converted into a baronial style home in 1903, by Sir Edwin Lutyens it now has a beautiful interior of antique Flemish and English furniture, porcelain and brass. Ownership: National Trust Situation – OS ref: NU 136417 How to get there: Safe crossing times. By car: Turn left, off the A1 sou ... [more]

24/03/2009

Lindisfarne Heritage Centre

Description: The Lindisfarne Heritage Centre is the base for information on the Lindisfarne Gospels. An interactive program allows you to turn the pages of the 'virtual' Gospel, and, newly arrived, is a limited edition facsimile of the Lindisfarne Gospels donated by the British Library, along with an accompanying exhibition. Ownership: Owned and managed by the people of the Holy Isla ... [more]

24/03/2009

Lindisfarne Priory

Description: One of the holiest Anglo-Saxon sites in England – the Cradle of Christianity. For 1300 years this has been a place of pilgrimage. Ownership: English Heritage Situation – OS ref: NU 127417 How to get there: Access limited by tides. Safe crossing times. By car: Across the tidal causeway from the mainland. Turn off the A1 south of Berwick along the road signposted Beal an ... [more]

25/03/2009

Littledean Tower

Description: Littledean Tower, near Ploughlands Farm, Maxton was formerly a very important defended house, for many years the home of the Kers of Littledean, a branch of the Kers of Cessford. It makes use of the unusual site which it commands with the River Tweed on the north side and a burn to the east. The west end was built in the form of a half-moon and the east an oblong square – overall i ... [more]

01/01/2010

Lochcarron Tartan Weaving Mill

Lochcarron Visitor Centre Description: Formerly in Galashiels, the Lochcarron Visitor Centre are weavers of the world's largest range of pure wool tartans. Ownership: Private Situation Waverly Mill Dunsdale Road Selkirk – OS ref: NT 475293 How to get there: By car: It can be reached by road by travelling north on the A7 from the direction of Carlisle and the M6, or sout ... [more]

12/04/2017

Manderston House

Description: Manderston, which is the home of Lord and Lady Palmer, is a fine combination of Georgian style and Edwardian practicality. It is unique in having the world famous silver staircase. The Channel 4 television series ‘The Edwardian Country House’ was filmed here. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 814545 How to get there: By car: Situated on the A6105 Duns to Chir ... [more]

07/04/2017

Marine Life Centre and Northumbria's Haunted Kingdom, Seahouses

Description: This museum is an entertaining and an educational experience – a time tunnel of the fishing industry both at sea and ashore in Seahouses. Also has the Haunted Kingdom, a walk through Gh ... [more]

27/02/2007

Mary Queen of Scots' Visitor Centre

Description: Formerly named Mary Queen of Scots House, this property tells the story of Mary Queen of Scots , her tragic life, and of her visit to Jedburgh in 1566. Audio Tours available Ownership: Scottish Borders Council Situation – OS ref: NT 651206 How to get there: By car: Within the town of Jedburgh. Just off the main street. By public transport: Within walking distance of th ... [more]

03/04/2015

Mellerstain House

Description: Superb Georgian House by William and Robert Adam with exquisite plaster ceilings, beautiful period furniture, and a marvellous art collection. It is the home of the Earl and Countess of Haddington. Ownership: Private - The Mellerstain Trust Situation – OS ref: NT 647390 How to get there: By car: Turn left off the A6089 Kelso to Gordon road, 6 miles north west of Kelso. ... [more]

15/04/2017

Melrose Abbey

Description: One of the four great Border Abbeys built during the 12th century. Home of the Cistercian Order in the reign of David I. Originally very plain, when it was rebuilt in the 15th century, it became very ornate. Much still standing. Reputed to be the burial place of the heart of Robert the Bruce. The Commendator’s House close by houses artefacts and carvings which have been found ov ... [more]

01/03/2013

Melrose Town Trail

This walk takes you round the town of Melrose in the Scottish Borders. The town is steeped in history, and you will find items of interest round every corner. Visit the Melrose Town Trail website Places to Stay in Melrose ... [more]

01/01/2010

Mertoun House Gardens, St Boswells

Description: A very extensive garden extending to some 26 acres. Probably in existence for some 350 years. Mature specimen trees, and azaleas, bulbs etc in season. Herbaceous borders. Arboretum. Walled garden. Ancient dovecot. Lovely walks. Ownership: Mertoun Gardens Trust - a charitable company limited by guarantee. Charity No 113423, Company No 5747404. Extensive gardens of p ... [more]

01/04/2017

Millennium Viewpoint, Kelso

Description: This viewpoint was, as its name suggests, constructed to commemorate the Millennium, and by its construction an extra tourist attraction was added to enable visitors and locals alike to enjoy the views over the town of Kelso. From an initial suggestion by two members of the Kelso Laddies’ Association, Tom Weatherston and Gordon Little, the idea was brought, through Denys Mitchell’s ... [more]

01/01/2010

Millholm Cross

Description: On the shaft of Millholm Cross is carved a sword with the initials MA and AA above. The cross probably commemorates Alexander Armstrong, laird of nearby Mangerton Tower and one of the notorious clan of Border reivers. Ownership: Public access Situation – OS ref: NY 476861 How to get there: By car: To the south of Newcastleton on the B6357 Canonbie road. On the RHS less ... [more]

01/01/2010

Minto Parish Church

Description: Minto is a planned village designed and laid out by William Playfair for the 2nd Earl of Minto. The Church, built as part of the plan, was completed in 1831 and replaced a much earlier mediaeval building close by which was recorded as far back as 1275. Ownership: Church of Scotland Situation – OS ref: NT 566201 How to get there: By car: Off the A698 Kelso to Hawick road ... [more]

01/01/2010

Moat Park Heritage Centre, Biggar

Description: One of a series of museums and places of interest within the town of Biggar. Meet an Iron Age family or a Roman soldier. See the 'Menzies Moffat' tapestry. Ownership: Biggar Museums Trust Situation – OS ref: NT 038377 How to get there: By car: On the A7202 road from Edinburgh to Lanark (via A 73) and South. Easily accessible also from the M74 Glasgow to Carlisl ... [more]

11/03/2009

Monteviot House Gardens

Description: The grounds and gardens of Monteviot House. Arboretum, Rose Garden and herbaceous shrub borders. Water garden. On the banks of the River Teviot. Ownership: Private Situation OS ref: NT 648245 How to get there: By car: Leave the A68 south of St Boswells, opposite turn off to Ancrum, onto B6400. 2 miles to Monteviot. By public transport: Regular bus service from S ... [more]

15/04/2017

Mungo Park Statue, Selkirk

Description: This monument remembers the life and works of Mungo Park, the doctor and explorer who was born in 1771 at Foulshiels, 4 miles from Selkirk. Spending much of his life in Africa, he explored the River Niger, dying there in 1806. This intricate sculpted column was erected in 1859, outside what were at the time the Municipal Buildings, and had been the surgeon’s house where he did his a ... [more]

01/01/2010

National Museum of Flight

Description: Head off on a journey of discovery at this former airfield and explore the history of aviation from the First World War to the present day. Fill your day with interactive exhibitions, supersonic experiences, historic hangars, an assault course and acres of green grass and fresh air. Explore the site on foot or jump aboard the Airfield Explorer to tour our hangars and discover our na ... [more]

25/03/2015

Neidpath Castle

Description: A medieval castle situated in a glorious spot on the Tweed, with displays of interest, and wall hangings depicting the life of Mary Queen of Scots. Former seat of the Fraser, Hay and Do ... [more]

07/03/2006

Newark Castle, Bowhill

Description: First recorded in 1423 as the “New Werk” to replace the “Oldworck”. Attacked twice during the 16th century, it was eventually destroyed by Cromwell’s forces in 1650. In the 18th century it was stripped and the dressed stone recycled. There is still evidence of the 16th century barmkin or courtyard wall, with its numerous gunloops. Ownership: Tower is NOT open to the public, an ... [more]

01/01/2010

Newcastleton Forest Walks

Description: A series of five walks in the Newcastleton Forest. All are colour-coded. Blue – Ponds Walk, 0.6 miles, Easy. A gentle stroll beside the Priesthill and around the ponds, whch are home to bright dragonflies during the summer months. Suitable for those with limited mobility, wheelchairs and children's buggies. Green – Drove Road, 1.8 miles, Moderate (allow 1 hour). Following ... [more]

01/01/2010

Newcastleton Planned Village

Description: This village was planned from scratch by the 3rd Duke of Buccleuch. At this time in the 18th century, Castleton was a series of scattered farms with a church. The Duke's aim was to develop handloom weaving and, by 1800, he had built 220 houses, many of which had a large front window to allow the maximum amount of light for the weavers. The local museum has details of the past h ... [more]

01/01/2010

New Lanark World Heritage Village

Description: This is New Lanark World Heritage Site, with its range of buildings from the 1820's, now acting as the best in living industrial archaeology. See Robert Owen, the industrial reformer's, house and those of his millworkers. Walk in the beautiful countryside of the Clyde Walkway to see the Falls of Clyde. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: How to get there: ... [more]

12/02/2010

Ninestane Rig

Description: A small stone circle erected between 5000 and 4000 years ago, as a place of ceremonial worship and perhaps burial. Lord Soules of Hermitage Castle is said to have been wrapped in lead and boiled to death here. Ownership: Public access Situation – OS ref: NY 517973 How to get there: By car: Along a footpath leading east from the B6399 Newcastleton to Hawick Road, between ... [more]

01/01/2010

Norham Castle

Description: The massive remains of one the border strongholds on the banks of the Tweed, which protected Northumberland from the marauding Scots. Ownership: English Heritage Situation – OS ref ... [more]

16/01/2007

Number Four Gallery

Description: Number Four Gallery is a relaxed and informal contemporary space, home to an ever-changing programme of inspiring and original contemporary art works. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: How to get there: By car: From the A1 north and south, follow the signs to Coldingham, local services and St Abbs Head Nature reserve. Number Four gallery is situated 200 yards on ... [more]

25/09/2009

Old Gala House

Description: Formerly the home of the Pringles of Galashiels, this is now a Museum, Conference Centre and Gallery where a wide range of Exhibitions are held in the three gallery spaces. It is also the home of the Borders Family History Society. Ownership: Scottish Borders Council Situation – OS ref: NT 489361 How to get there: It is in Scott Crescent within the town. By car: Scott ... [more]

05/03/2013

Old Melrose Monastic Walk

Join a guided walk through 200 years of history including the site of the original Melrose Abbey. First Monday of the summer months at Old Melrose Furniture Studio and Tearoom. TD6 9DF. 1.30pm till 3.30pm. Adult £2, Children Free. No booking required Contact: 01835 822823 ... [more]

04/07/2017

Palace of Holyroodhouse

Description: The Official Residence of Her Majesty the Queen Ownership: Private – The Official Residences of the Queen. Situation – OS ref: NT 269739 How to get there: By car: In Holyrood Park, at foot of Royal Mile. Car parking alongside. By public transport: Buses number 35, 64 and open-topped tour buses stop nearby. Seasonal opening details (2010): The Palace is open daily E ... [more]

24/02/2010

Paxton House & Country Park

Description: Built in 1758 by John and James Adam, Paxton House is one of the finest 18th century Palladian country houses in Britain. The interiors by Robert Adam are matched by the largest collection of Chippendale furniture in Scotland, and the regency furniture by Trotter of Edinburgh. The House lies in the heart of 80 acres of landscaped gardens, parkland and woodland. The riverside walk ... [more]

22/03/2017

Peebles Craft Centre

Description: This centre houses a group of craftworkers whose work in porcelain, wood, metal, silk etc is on display and available for purchase. Not all the workshops are open all of the time. Ow ... [more]

10/06/2003

Peniel Heugh and Waterloo Monument

Description: A 150 foot tower, built between 1817 and 1824 to commemorate the Battle of Waterloo, standing on a hill top near to Harestanes Visitor Centre. The tower itself is NOT open to the public. Ownership: Private land. Situation – OS ref: NT 653263 How to get there: By car: For walkers, the best way is to park at the Harestanes Visitor Centre and then follow the marked walk to ... [more]

01/01/2010

Pennymuir Roman Camps and Dere Street

Description: At Pennymuir the ramparts and entrances of two marching camps are particularly well preserved. Close to what is now the border, they are a reminder of the many occasions on which Roman legions marched north from York and Hadrian's Wall to reach their bases at Trimontium and further north. It was a major route into the area from the 1st to 4th centuries. Dere Street itself can b ... [more]

08/12/2010

Peter Scott & Co Ltd

Description: Famous knitwear manufacturer, providing regular factory tours with an on-site factory store, selling the highest quality knitwear at reasonable prices. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 502147 How to get there: By car: In town of Hawick. – Buccleuch Street. By public transport: Regular bus services from all Border towns and Edinburgh and Carlisle. Seas ... [more]

02/12/2007

Pirn Hill, Innerleithen

Description: This hill is crowned by the remains of an iron age hillfort which is marked by the two lines of ramparts and the sites of several circular houses within. This site was the homestead of a farming community about 2000 years ago. Seven stone cairns arranged to outline an iron age house depict aspects of the history of the district. Excellent views of the Tweed Valley from this view ... [more]

01/01/2010

Polwarth Parish Church

Description: Although an inscribed stone set into the south wall claims that there has been a church on this site from before 900AD, this church was built in 1703 and replaced the mediaeval church of "Poulworth" which was dedicated to David de Bernham, Bishop of St Andrews in 1242. The crypt is the family vault of the Hume family, and was the famous hiding place of Patrick Hume when h ... [more]

07/12/2010

Pot-a-Doodle Do

Description: A creative art centre where all ages can have a try at various artistic techniques and take the results home with them. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NU 015495 How to get there: At Borewell Farm, Scremerston. By car: Off the A1 south of Berwick upon Tweed, leave the A1 at the roundabout, signposted Scremerston. Head towards Cocklawburn Beach. Pot-a-doodle Do ... [more]

09/04/2016

Preston Bridge

Description: This fine bridge dates from 1770 and was an important element of the Duns to Grantshouse and Dunbar Turnpike which was opened in the 1840's. Today there are fine views along the River Whiteadder. Ownership: Public Situation – OS ref: NT 787568 How to get there: By car: On the A6105 Duns to Grantshouse road where it crosses the River Whiteadder just south of Prest ... [more]

01/01/2010

Preston Old Parish Church and Graveyard

Description: The first Preston Church was built in the 12th century and belonged to the Bishopric of Dunkeld. Stones from this period with Norman carving were incorporated into the present church which was abandoned in 1718 when the parish was united with Bunkle. The churchyard continued in use and a number of family memorials are amongst the ruins. Ownership: Church of Scotland Situatio ... [more]

01/01/2010

Priorwood Garden & Dried Flower Shop

Description: A garden with extensive and glorious herbaceous borders which are the source of the flowers which are dried on the premises. Visitors can learn the craft of dried flower arranging, and browse among the unique range of dried flowers. They can purchase all they need to do their own arrangements, or relax in the orchard with its collection of historic apple varieties. Ownership: ... [more]

12/02/2014

The Queen's Gallery, Palace of Holyroodhouse

Description: The new Queen's Gallery at the Palace of Holyroodhouse. Ownership: Private – The Official Residences of the Queen. Situation – OS ref: NT 269739 How to get there: By car: In Holyrood Park, at foot of Royal Mile. Car parking alongside. By public transport: Buses number 35, 64 and open-topped tour buses stop nearby. Opening Hours 2011 The Queen's Gallery is ... [more]

24/06/2011

Robert D Clapperton Photographic, Selkirk

Description: An original Daylight Photographic Studio dating from 1867. Has an amazing collection of negatives and photographic artefacts. See what it was like when you made a visit to a photographer’s studio c 1890. See how the finished print was produced from the original glass negative. Demonstrations when time allows. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 475293 How to get t ... [more]

07/03/2013

Robert Smail's Printing Works

Description: A completely restored printing works - just as it was a hundred years ago. See the office, the paper store with reconstructed water-wheel, the composing and press rooms and watch a printer at work. You can also try typesetting by hand as it used to be done! Orders taken for printing and stationery. Ownership: National Trust for Scotland Situation – OS ref: NT 333367 H ... [more]

12/02/2011

Rosslyn Chapel

Description: The chapel is an enigma, unique and famed throughout the world for its carvings and the aura of mystery and magic surrounding it. Rosslyn with its links to the past has a place in pilgrimage over the centuries. Contains the famous “Apprentice Pillar”. Ownership: Rosslyn Chapel Association Situation – OS ref:NT 275631 How to get there: By car: Off the A701 Edinburgh t ... [more]

01/02/2016

Roxburgh Castle

Description: The ruins of the famous castle of Roxburgh, favourite of Scottish kings, seated on its massive grassy mound between the Rivers Tweed and Teviot. Ownership: On Roxburghe Estates land. Situation: On the banks of the River Teviot, about one mile out of Kelso. OS ref: NT 712337 How to get there: By car: Drive over Kelso Bridge going South, turn immediately along the A699 ... [more]

01/01/2010

Royal Yacht Britannia

Description: The former Royal Yacht, decommissioned and converted into a superb Visitor Attraction. Exhibits, photographs and artefacts from The Royal Collection. Ownership: Royal Yacht Britannia Trust Situation – OS ref: NT 265770 How to get there: By car: At Leith Docks, Ocean terminal. Signposted from outskirts of city. By public transport: Special Britannia Bus from Waverley ... [more]

30/08/2017

St Abb's Head National Nature Reserve

Description: Formed by an extinct volcano, St Abb’s Head is the best known landmark along the Berwickshire coast. Home to thousands of nesting seabirds in summer, it is also home to a wide range of other wildlife. A new remote camera facility allows visitors to the Nature Reserve Centre to eavesdrop on the nesting birds. Ownership: National Trust for Scotland Situation – OS ref: NT 914 ... [more]

12/02/2011

St Boswells Golf Club

St Boswells Golf Club Address: St Boswells Golf Club Braeheads St Boswells Melrose TD6 0DE Contact: Telephone: 01835 823527 Holes 9 Yardage 5250 Par 66 SSS 66 This nine hole parkland course running along the banks of the River Tweed was laid out by William Park in 1899. Later remodelled in 1958 after the disastrous floods of 1948, the clubhouse, with its changing rooms, show ... [more]

22/02/2017

St Cuthbert's Way

This 62 ½ mile / 100km walk links the two religious sites of Melrose Abbey and Lindisfarne Priory. Visit the St Cuthbert's Way website Places to Stay in Melrose ... [more]

01/01/2010

St Ronan's Wells Visitor Centre

Description: Historic spa, built in the year 1827, which was a magnet for the Victorians in need of the curative waters. The mineral waters had been well-known for many years – they were visited by Robert Burns in 1787. Ownership: Scottish Borders Council Situation – OS ref: NT 328373 How to get there: In Wells Brae, Innerleithen By car: Innerleithen lies on the A72, Galashiels to Pe ... [more]

22/02/2013

The Scott Monument, Edinburgh

Description: This 200 foot high monument in the centre of Edinburgh was officially inaugurated on 15th August 1846, some 14 years after the death of Sir Walter Scott. Open to the public, its pinnacle is reached after a climb of 287 steps. His statue, carved by Sir John Steell in carrara marble is twice life size. The monument was closed for refurbishment and cleaning in 1998, but is now fully r ... [more]

01/01/2010

Scottish Archery Centre

Description: This centre gives you the opportunity to try modern day archery equipment under the supervision of experienced instructors. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 515817 How t ... [more]

20/04/2007

Scottish Borders Art Glass

Description: Demonstrations of the ancient skills of glassmaking. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT505165 How to get there: By car: In Galalaw Industrial Estate on the northern outskirts of Hawick. Easiest access - from the roundabout on the A7 past the Police Headquarters. By public transport: Public transport on A7 Hawick to Selkirk and Galashiels. Seasonal openin ... [more]

08/04/2016

Scottish Mining Museum, Newtongrange

Description: The Scottish Museum of Mining at the former Lady Victoria Colliery. The guides are former miners, the atmosphere is that of the mine. This is the place to come to experience what miners actually faced each and every day of their working lives. See the danger, feel the blood and sweat in this once dangerous place. Ownership: Scottish Mining Museum Trust Situation – OS ref: N ... [more]

10/02/2013

The Scottish Parliament

Description: The new building at Hoyrood which is the home of the Scottish Parliament. Ownership: Situation – OS ref: How to get there: By car: Limited parking in the area – nearest car parks are St John's Hill or new Street.. By public transport: Public transport buses to the area. Seasonal opening details (2012): All year. Opening Hours: Monday and Friday April to ... [more]

09/03/2012

Scottish Seabird Centre, North Berwick

Description: Find out about the seabirds of the Firth of Forth and watch the nesting birds with the camera links to the Bass Rock, Isle of May and Fidra. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: ... [more]

07/03/2006

Scott's View, Bemersyde

Description: This scenic view is known world-wide. The view of the Eildon Hills from Bemersyde was one of Sir Walter Scott’s favourite views of his beloved Borderland. It is said that the horse pulling the hearse taking him to his interment at Dryburgh Abbey stopped at this spot, as it usually did on its daily outings with Sir Walter aboard. The Eildon Hills, the remains of volcanic activity ... [more]

01/01/2010

Selkirk Market Place and Pant Well

Description: The Market Square was the most important part of the mediaeval town. There the commercial activity was based, with the various separate markets taking place close by. The Pant Well was built in 1898, and still marks the commercial centre of the town. Ownership: Public access Situation – OS ref: NT 469284 How to get there: By car: In the centre of Selkirkwhich lies betwe ... [more]

01/01/2010

Sir Walter Scott's Courtroom

Description: The building in Selkirk where Sir Walter Scott sat as a Sheriff of Selkirk from 1804 till 1832. Now a museum which explores his life, his writings and especially his time as a Sheriff. Also features James Hogg, the Ettrick Shepherd, and Mungo Park, the African Explorer. Ownership: Scottish Borders Council Situation – OS ref: NT 471285 How to get there: By car: In t ... [more]

22/02/2013

Skirmish Field, Melrose

Description: An area of water meadow across which runs the Southern Upland Way. This site saw a battle in July 1526, when Sir Walter Scott of Branxholm tried unsuccessfully to rescue the young King James V from the dominance of the Earl of Angus with his Ker and Home allies. In the ensuing rout, Scott lost eighty men and the victors lost Ker of Cessford. Ownership: Private land but open r ... [more]

01/01/2010

Smailholm Church

Description: Founded by David de Olifard in the 12th century and subsequently granted to the Benedictine monks of Coldingham priory. The exterior still shows much of the original stonework, particularly in the east end which still has three Norman windows. Ownership: Church of Scotland Situation – OS ref: NT 649364 How to get there: By car: In the village of Smailholm, on the B639 ... [more]

20/03/2009

Smailholm Pottery

Trading as KINSMAN BLAKE CERAMICS, SMAILHOLM Description: Pottery producing hand thrown items which are individually painted. Also paintings and woodcuts. Group demonstrations by arrangement. Ownership: Private Situation: OS ref: NT648364 How to get there: By car: In Smailholm Village. Park at roadside. By public transport: Regular, if infrequent, bus service, Kelso to Ea ... [more]

08/12/2007

Smailholm Tower

Description: This is a well preserved and well restored border tower house dating from the 15th century. Situated on Sandyknowe Farm, it is visible for miles around. Formerly the home of the Pringles of Smailholm and later that of the Scotts of Harden, it was well known to Sir Walter Scott who came to Sandyknowe regularly to visit his grandfather. The tower was surrounded by a barmkin wall, wh ... [more]

10/09/2017

Smokehouse Gallery

Smokehouse Gallery Description: Friendly Gallery in the heart of Eyemouth. Wide range of art, jewellery, ceramics and cards. Work from local artists and further afield. Regular changing exhibitions. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 944642 How to get there: By car: In Eyemouth By public transport: Regular buses from Berwick, Duns and Edinburgh. Seasonal opening ... [more]

24/02/2010

Southdean Old Parish Church

Description: The ruins of the medieval church of "Zedon" where, in 1388, Scottish nobles planned an invasion of England watched by an English spy. The spy gave himself away, but bought his life by betraying the English plans. This helped the Earl of Douglas, the Scots leader, to gain victory over the English led by Harry "Hotspur" at the Battle of Otterburn. Douglas, however, ... [more]

01/01/2010

Soutra Aisle

Description: Midway between Edinburgh and the magnificent Border abbeys from the 12th to the 17th century stood a mediaeval hospital – a refuge for travellers and the needy on the Royal Road, the main Anglo Scottish highway. The excavation of the site and the ensuing research began in 1986 and are ongoing under the aegis of Soutra Archaeo-Medicine SCO 28126. Ownership: Private - Situa ... [more]

01/01/2010

Swinton Village Green and Market Cross

Description: Although the original village dates back to the 11th century, the present village was laid out as a planned village in the 18th century. The market cross stands on the Village Green where it was erected as a symbol of the commercial status that Swinton once enjoyed as a market town. As the Green is also a football pitch, the Market Cross, standing as it does in the middle of the pit ... [more]

01/01/2010

Tantallon Castle

Description: A formidable stronghold set on the cliffs overlooking the Firth of Forth. Was one of the main fortresses of the Douglas Earls of Angus. Ownership: Historic Scotland Situation – OS ref: NT 597850 How to get there: By car: 3 miles east of North Berwick close to the A198. Signposted and very visible. By public transport: Regular bus services from North Berwick to Dunbar p ... [more]

12/03/2013

Teviot Smokery, Coffee Shop and Water Gardens

Description: Spectacular terraced watergardens with riverside walk. Ownership: Private Situation: OS ref: NT 708273 How to get there: By car: Situated on the A698, Kelso to Jedburgh road, some two miles beyond Heiton. Signposted. By public transport: Regular bus service between Kelso and Jedburgh passes the door. Seasonal opening details (2016): Open all year. Opening Hours ... [more]

03/04/2016

Thirlestane Castle

Description: One of the 7 great houses of Scotland. Originally dating from the 13th century, it became the home of the Maitland family in the 16th century. The nursery has a unique collection of historic toys. Ownership: Private – Thirlestane Castle Trust Situation – OS ref: NT 532479 How to get there: By car: On the outskirts of Lauder. Off the A68. By public transport: Short w ... [more]

22/04/2016

Thornielee Forest Picnic Site and Forest Walks

Description: This viewpoint and picnic site is the centre for a group of sign-posted walks maintained by the Forestry Commission. Excellent views of the Tweed Valley including Elibank Castle across the valley. Ownership: Forestry Commission Situation – OS ref: NT 402365 How to get there: By car: On the A72 between Galashiels and Walkerburn. By public transport: Regular bus service ... [more]

01/01/2010

The Three Hills Roman Heritage Centre

Description: Modern exhibition on the life of the Scottish Roman Frontier. Artefacts, models, panels, replicas etc. New attraction is the reconstruction of the Roman soldier’s head. Ownership: Trimontium Trust Situation – OS ref: NT 547339 How to get there: By car: In Melrose Square. Car parking nearby (some Free, some Pay & Display) By public transport: Regular bus service ... [more]

31/03/2017

Tower Mill

Heart of Hawick Tower Mill Description: Discover a whole new world of family entertainment inside the Tower Mill - a former weaving mill which has been completely renovated to provide: a cinema/theatre, café bar, exhibition space, visitor welcome centre, ICT suite and creative workspaces. Ownership: Scottish Borders Council Situation – OS ref:NT 502145 How to get there: By car ... [more]

13/02/2009

Traquair House

Description: One of the 7 great houses of Scotland. It is the oldest continuously occupied house in Scotland, and was the pleasure ground of the Kings of Scotland in times of peace, and the hideaway of catholic priests during their persecution. Ownership: Private Situation – OS ref: NT 332355 How to get there: By car: Turn off the A72 at Innerleithen onto the B709 and follow the s ... [more]

09/04/2017

Trimontium Roman Fort

Description: The most important Roman military complex between Hadrian's Wall and the Antonine Wall guarded and secured the crossing of the Tweed at Newstead in the 2nd century AD. Excavations have revealed some of what was going on there, but much has still to be done. Helpful boards and viewing platforms. Guided walks arranged throughout the summer months. Ownership: Open access to t ... [more]

01/01/2015

The Trimontium Roman/Mediaeval Walk

Description: Walk to the most important Roman military complex between Hadrian's Wall and the Antonine Wall which guarded and secured the crossing of the Tweed at Newstead in the 2nd century AD. Excavations have revealed some of what was going on there, but much has still to be done. Helpful boards and viewing platforms. Guided walks arranged throughout the summer months. Ownership: Op ... [more]

02/03/2017

Tweeddale Museum and Gallery

Description: The story of the Royal Burgh of Peebles and the surrounding area from pre-historic times up to the present. Regular exhibitions of contemporary arts and crafts throughout the summer months. Ownership: Scottish Borders Council Situation – OS ref: NT 253403 In the Chambers Institute. How to get there: By car: Just off the main street of Peebles. By public transport ... [more]

23/02/2013

Tweed Valley Forest Park - Glentress Forest

Description: An outdoor centre for those interested in walking, mountain biking, horse riding and just enjoying the countryside. The viewpoints will leave one breathless. Ownership: Forestry Commission Situation – OS ref: NT284396 How to get there: By car: Off the A72, Peebles to Galashiels road, some 3 miles East of Peebles. By public transport: Regular public transport pass ... [more]

01/01/2010

Tweed Valley Osprey Project

Description: This gives the opportunity to watch live TV coverage of the return of the osprey to the Scottish Borders. The pictures are beamed to two visitor centres - at Glentress Forest Visitor Centre and Kailzie Gardens Visitor Centre. Ownership: Forestry Commission Scotland Situation – OS ref: Glentress – NT 284398 – OS ref: Kailzie Gardens – NT 281385 How to get there: By c ... [more]

05/03/2009

Walks by the River Tweed

At many places there are pleasant walks along the banks of the River Tweed. A site to give information about the River Tweed, with details of some of the interesting places to visit, and places to view can be found at: Walks by the Tweed ... [more]

01/01/2010

The Wallace Statue

Description: This giant statue of Sir William Wallace, hero of many years of battling with the neighbouring English in the 13th century, stands in the grounds of Bemersyde House. Like most memorials in the area it was commissioned by David Stuart Erskine, 11th Earl of Buchan. This huge statue of the ‘Guardian of Scotland’ stands 31 feet high in total, with the actual statue being 21½ feet high. ... [more]

01/01/2010

Wilton Lodge Park, Hawick

Description: Award winning park on banks of River Teviot in Hawick with tree-lined walks, river, waterfall, glass houses, and, in season, recreational facilities for bowling, tennis, putting, crazy golf. Café. Ownership: Scottish Borders Council Situation – OS ref: NT 494146 How to get there: By car: Within Hawick. In Wilton Lodge Park , Hawick. Car parking on hand. By public tr ... [more]

08/03/2013

Woodside Plant Centre and Café

Description: Woodside is an independent garden centre in a Victorian walled garden. In addition to a wide variety of outdoor plants, the garden centre also has a shop selling gardening tools and accessories. There are demonstration and kitchen gardens, as well as a wildlife garden developed jointly with the RSPB. A café with outdoor seating offers great views of wild birds feeding. Ownersh ... [more]

01/02/2014

Yair Bridge Picnic Site

Description: Through history this was one of the gathering places for Scottish armies heading south into England. Close to the Border with easy access from the North, East and West with flat land and a plentiful water supply, thousands of men could ‘camp’ in the area. The fame of the Selkirk souters (makers of shoes and boots) meant that the army could also be shod. Ownership: Public access ... [more]

01/01/2010

Yarrow Stone

Description: An early Christian stone from the 5th Century AD, which commemorates the burial site of two Christian princes – Nudos and Dumnogenos, sons of Liberalis. Ownership: On private ground. Stands within a small enclosure, beside a farm track a short way from the public road. Situation – OS ref: NT 348274 How to get there: By car: Close to the A708, Yarrow Water road from Selki ... [more]

01/01/2010

Harestanes - the New Play Area

Refurbished in June 2005, the new play area attached to the Harestanes Visitor Centre, near Ancrum must be one of the safest and best to be found, anywhere. Come and try it out - there are facilities at Harestanes for children of all ages - from 1 to 101! Closed during the winter months November to mid March ... [more]

08/02/2010

Last Update: 04/10/2017
(edit)

Discover the Borders