Ancrum Village Green and Market Cross
Things to do in Jedburgh Scottish Borders
Archaeological-Sites in Scotland
Description: A carved stone cross stands on the triangular village green, where regular markets took place from 1490. Bishop Blackadder of Glasgow, as feudal lord of the village, set up a market in a failed attempt to turn the village into a centre for trade and commerce.
Situation – OS ref: NT 628245
How to get there:
By car: In the centre of the village of Ancrum which lies on the A 68 between St Boswells and Jedburgh.
By public transport: Regular bus service passes the road end for Ancrum.
Seasonal opening details:
Web link: (where appropriate):
Places to stay nearby:
Local towns and villages: