Things to do in Melrose Scottish Borders
Archaeological-Sites in Scotland
The monks of Kelso Abbey founded the church at Bowden around 1128, although only some fragments in the west gable and north wall survive from this original structure. The original church was a rectangular building to which transepts were added in the 15th century. The church has been remodelled at least twice since then, the last in 1909, and, while the exterior still bears a feel of antiquity, the interior has been extensively remodelled.
Church of Scotland
Situation – OS ref: NT 554301
How to get there:
By car: Signposted from the middle of the village of Bowden, which lies just to the south of the A68 and is accessible through Newtown St Boswells.
By public transport:
Regular of infrequent bus service from Galashiels to Bowden via Melrose.
Seasonal opening details:
During Daylight hours.
Sunday Service at 11am.
Wheelchair friendly, Hearing loop system.
Many interesting gravestones in the attached graveyard.
Booklet about the church available from the Village Post Office.
Web link: (where appropriate):
Places to stay nearby:
Local towns and villages:
Newtown St Boswells